SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1053

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Tue Nov 3 18:22:49 PST 1998

> A rumpot?  This sounds like an interesting idea . . . do you need a special
> type of container for one?

I bought a 2.5 gallon pickle crock, sterilized it and put in my portion, and cover
it with a corningware saucet that has been given a ring of soft silicon as a gasket
that i weight down to keep sealed. Nothing special, i suppose you could tupperware
it in the freezer if you really wanted. As soon as I get a summer kitchen made in
the barn for my brewing and cheesemaking and sausagemaking endeeavors, it will get
moved out there. We are planning on actually installing plumbing and heating for
this winter, as we are moving our bedroom back out there again. Last winter was
interesting, it was sort of like being back in the middle ages, no heat [just
heated mattress pad and several wonderfully decadent comforters...] and just enough
electricity for the mattress pad, a tv an alarm clock and a lamp. We just finished
wiring the barn for 100 amp service, and are putting in a propane 'woodstove' to
heat the bedroom.margali
[and before anybody asks, we have roommates, so there are 2 couples in a rather
small house, and the top floor of the barn is mostly finished into a great 15x25
studio/bedroom. I opt for the space rather than proximity to a flushatorium. I can
walk the 40 or so feet to go to the jakes, i did it all last winter!]

> I'm jealous of the cider barrel . . . very jealous . . .

nya-nya![ ;-)] Ask me nice, and I might give you some of my cider, if you are going
to be at an event near me in the future...

> Beer marinade ham --

sounds good, I may try this next spring...