SC - psssst....

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Nov 4 07:41:12 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/4/98 1:33:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<< Our British cousins use the term 'vegetable marrow', which may be some
 sort of squash.  Reading the word 'marrow' made me wonder when that word
 came to be used for a veggie as well as the rich stuff inside bones.
 Haven't actually read anything tonight that I think could be the veggie,
 but it's nice to know these things.

 Regards,

 Allison >>

It is indead a squash variety. The closest modern equivalent would be patty
pan squashes so far as texture and flavor although zucchini is a viable
sunstitute. It5alian edible gourds could also be substituted if they are
available in your area or if you had the forethought to plant them in your
garden last spring when the subject came up. :-) I have several bags of it in
my freezer but I see no way of getting it to you in a frozen condition. :-(

It is certainly hard to see the similarities of vegetable marrow to bone
marrow given the fact that it is currently the hip thing to undercook
vegetables. However, if you cook your squash until it is totally soft and then
drain it , the texture is very similar to cooked marrow which could explain
the use of the same word.  for both plant and animal products. Also the outer
skin of a mature squash is very hard and if the squash is cooked whole, opened
and the 'marrow' removed, the similarity to hard bone with a succulent
interior is even more evident. :-)

Ras