SC - An old recipie memory

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Nov 4 15:19:53 PST 1998

Greetings Morgan,
Do you have other period books that list quantities?  try extrapolating
from those...
I would assume pork fat for a pork sausage.

When I have made sausages I have cut the fat WAY back (because otherwise I
can't eat it)  I would use about 1 of 1 1/2 lb  pork fat to 5 lb lean pork.
 but some recipes might go as high as
2 1/2 lbs. (I have even seen some for very lean meat using equal parts lean
and fat)
try rummaging around here for modern recipes that might give at least a
modern indication of proportion...

http://www.neosoft.com/recipes/preserving-meats/index.html

and keep in mind how fatty our original meat is, pork butt is fattier than
pork loin- this may cause you to adjust how much fat you add.

Let me know what you work out.

Gwen-Cat
Caerthe
- -------------
Original Text
From: "Melissa Martines" <mmartines at brighthorizons.com>, on 11/4/1998 3:27
PM:
OK, I need help!! I am going crazy trying to figure out proportions for a
sausage recipe in The English Housewife (the "Links" recipe).  It says to
take pork lean and slice it, then fat and slice it on top of the lean and
keep doing this for awhile and then chop it all up, mix it together, add
some salt, pepper and sage, stuff and dry.

Well, I can't figure out how much fat to the meat should be used.  For
example, if I use 5 lbs. of pork, how much fat?  Also, what KIND of fat?

Thanks in advance.

Morgan MacBride
Meridies