SC - Question on Butters

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 19:25:19 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/4/98 12:53:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, mirhaxa at swcp.com
writes:

<< Why would a pen animal be leaner (more meat, less fat) than an animal
 that had to walk and forage?

 Mirhaxa >>

Because through genetic manipulation pigs have been bred over the last 50
years  (since the inception of margarine and vegetable oils) to the point
where they are 25 per cent or more leaner than ever before in history.
Unfortunately, there has been a noticable deterioration in both the quality
and flavor of the meat expecially during the last 20 years. This is currently
causing alarm throughout the pig industry.

Walking and foraging is  not exactly what was done. I posted before the use of
slop, etc. in raising pigs. Our own animals were very fat because we always
bred for lard. Yet they were pastured and had several acres to run in.
Everyday  though they were waiting for the slop buckets to spill into their
trough  Slop consisted of grain and corn sometimes, always table scraps and
things ythat you would normally associate with the compost pile like vegetable
trimmings all mixed with gallons of sour milk dipped out of barrels that were
there for that purpose. Herding animals does not mean they are uncared for or
left to their own devises. Picturres in Books of Hours, and other manuscripts
clearly indicate thatswine herds were a managed animal. Any vision of wildness
or being left to there own devices is in error. They like cattle, pigeons,
fish, dormice, rabbits, peacocks, chickens and cattle were FARM animals and
every aspect of their growth and care was carefully monitored and managed.

Ras

Ras