SC - period pigs, fatter or not?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 05:08:28 PST 1998

Anne-Marie said:

 >2. someone told me once that in french, the word for "lard" and "bacon"
are
 the same. Anyone know anything about that?<

According to Langenscheidt's Standard French Dictionary, "lard" is
translated as 1.saindoux {m}; graisse (f) de porc; 2. larder (de, with)
(a.fig.);

"bacon" is: lard (m)

Much of the confusion, I suspect, has come about because certain scholars,
not being cooks, have used the words interchangeably, as in the Anthimus
text I have. The word "lardus" has been translated throughout as bacon,
even when it's fairly obvious in context that they're speaking about ham or
other pork cuts.

Have we had enough of this thread yet? I suspect that both of you are wrong
to some degree, and arguing it out on this list isn't going to make either
one of you more correct.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches