SC - Jeff Smith Cook book " Keeping the feast"

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Nov 5 17:38:10 PST 1998

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom

Southeastern Ohio

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: From: RAISYA at aol.com
: To: herbalist at Ansteorra.ORG
: Subject: HERB - Pickles
: Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 4:28 PM
:
: OK, I tried this one out, and my kids say they're delicious (I don't care
for
: pickles myself).  So I thought it might be worth sharing, these could
probably
: be canned as presents, though I guess it is a little late for cucumbers
most
: other places <G>.
:
: "TO PRESERVE COWCUMBERS ALL THE YEERE.  (DELIGHTES FOR LADIES, Sir Hugh
Plat,
: 1609)
:
: You may take a gallon of faire water, and a pottle of veriuyce, and a
pinte of
: bay salt, and a handfull of greene Fennell or Dill:  boile it a little,
and
: when it is cold put it into a barrell, and then put your Cowcumbers into
that
: pickle, and you shall keepe them all the yeere."
: (notes - A pottle is 4 pints.  Bay salt is vague, I used sea salt)
:
: I divided the quantity in half, putting a half gallon of water, a quart
of
: apple cider vinegar (verjuice is hard to find), a cup of sea salt and a
couple
: of tablespoons of dill and put them into a pot.  Slowly, I brought it to
a low
: boil, then removed it from the heat.  When it cooled, I put the brine in
: gallon jar, and added several sliced up cucumbers.  I left it out on the
: counter overnight, then stored it in the fridge.  That was about 10 - 12
days
: ago, we just opened them for the first time.  I'll have my husband test
them
: tonight and tell me how close they are to modern pickles.
:
: Raisya
: