SC - Flavored Vinegars

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Sat Nov 7 12:03:12 PST 1998

Stapleton, Jeanne wrote:

> In a message dated 11/5/98 9:07:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> geneviamoas at juno.com writes:
>
> <<
>  Were you the one cooking feast at Celtic Massacre? we had some really
>  GARLIC butter served there. It was great added to the beef/Barly soup
> and
>  otherwise cleared sinuses wonderfully. I liked it but concensus was too
>  much garlic. The herb butter was more happily received.
>   Genevia
>   >>
>         This makes another excellent point--I do other things with the
>         butter than just put it on bread at the start.  In fact, I
>         happily play "mix n match" with condiments all evening, and it
>         always kind of throws me for a loop when people ask me anxiously
>         what it's supposed to go with.  It's not the asking part, but
>         the anxciouesness that confuses me.  :-)  My own internal
>         answer is "it goes with *food*".  :-)
>
> Berengaria

I do this also, all the little sauces and gravies and toppings and dips are
sometimes better on some other than on the intended dish!  Sometimes they are
so good, that any excuse to get more in your mouth is appropriate!

Besides, on Halloween night, the more garlic the better. Keeps all sorts of
scary things far away from you!

I took home more than a pound of that garlic butter. It has gotten better
through the week as the garlic has permeated it. The herb butter referenced by
Genevia was indeed mild and hasn't improved with age. I usually use fresh
parsley, even if some other herbs are dried, but they used entirely dried
herbs.  The chicken served at Celtic New Year Massacre would have been twice
as wonderful if they had used fresh rather than dried parsley.

Bonne - - off to make some garlic toast for a snack!