SC - Deboning fowl

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 7 19:00:16 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
We are told:
>>They were
>>  also talking about an 'Old Breed' of cow that could give milk for 7
>>  years instead of the normal 3 for a Jersy.

To whit Mordonna replies...
>??????????
>Our purebred Jerseys lasted fifteen to twenty years, had one old lady have a
>calf a year until she was almost thirty, milked her for ten months a year for
>almost thirty years.  Our purebred Holsteins gave a lot more milk, but lower
>butterfat, and they didn't last as long, ten to twelve years was good.  Our
>crossbreeds fell between both breeds in longevity, production, and butterfat.
>The crossbreeds were hardier, however.

I have heard this three year figure as well, but it was referring to your
average milk cow in the American style high production automated dairy,
where the cows are kept constantly stantioned on concrete, pumped full of
hormones and antibiotics and bred as frequently as possible to keep them as
'fresh' as possible. The three years refers to the "productive" life span
of these poor beasties.

Now, back to medieval food stuff...do you guys think that modern grocery
store milk is anything like real medieval milk? Why or why not? And if not,
how can we approximate the real deal? Or do we care?

- --AM