SC - Question on Butters

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Mon Nov 9 13:22:34 PST 1998

To Boyle a wilde Duck

Trusse and parboyle it,
	Tie up the duck and boil it until it is half done  (1hr?)

and then halfe roast it, then carve it,
	Complete the cooking by roasting, (another 1/2 hr?)

and save the gravy: take store of Onyons, Parsley, sliced Ginger, and Pepper:
put the gravie into a Pipkin with washt Currins, large Mace, Barberryes, a
quart of Claret Wine:
	Take the drippings from the bird Put into a sauce pan.(I'd skim the fat) Add
	onions, parsley, ginger,pepper, currants (raisins - well, currants) mace(the
	spice?) barberrys (what are they & where do I get them?) and a qt of wine.

let all boyle together, scumme it cleane,
	Boil all together, skimm off foam.

put in Butter and Sugar.
	Add to this, butter & sugar

Pour over bird??
I welcom all comments.
Phillipa Seton

John Murrell. A New Book of Cookery, (London, 1615)

I got this off the Plimoth Plantation website & it looks interesting for T-
Day.  Would anyone like to comment on my redaction?