SC - Verzusum

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Mon Nov 9 15:31:29 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/8/98 8:10:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

<< Rice. OTH, traditionally Frumenty was served with Venison. I am curious as
 your inclusion of Hummus as we have no evidience that this combination of
 ingredients was period. Also what type of bean were you planning on using for
 the Fried Bean dish? >>

Ras, to put it bluntly, the hummus is a) because we have that big honking can
of chickpeas left over from the last feast and b) because the head cook makes
a mean hummus, and lots of us like it.  Also, because it's the first time I've
been able to get him to agree to use REAL period recipes (instead of what he
thinks is period) for most things, and I'm willing to allow him a little
leeway in exchange.

As far as what kind of beans, I've done them in the past with white northern
beans.  I know it should be favas - or could we use the lentils for that???

You know how things percolate in your brain while you're sleeping?  While, I
woke up this morning going "Duh!  Frumenty goes with venison!"  None of us has
ever cooked it, though - any hints?

Brangwayna