SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Nov 9 16:21:11 PST 1998

I've been going through Platina, and I ran across the following, book VII,
#30:

Iusculum Quod Verzusum Vocant

Ovorum recentium vitella quattuor, semunciam cinnimi, sacchari uncias
quattuor, ex succo malarantii uncias totidem, aquae rosaceae uncias duas,
tudecula simul confusa ac in unum corpus redacta eo modo coques quo
iusculum croceum coquendum diximus. Non erit etiam ab re crocum addere quo
gratius fiat. Hoc genus cibarii aestate praecipue salubre habetur; multum
enim ac bene alit, hepar refrigerat, et bilum reprimit.

Broth Which They Call Verzusum

Cook the yolks of four fresh eggs, a half ounce of cinnamon, four ounces of
sugar, just as many of orange juice, and two ounces of rose water, beaten
together with a paddle and reduced to one mass in the same way we say
saffron broth should be cooked. It would not even be wrong to add saffron
to make it more pleasing. This kind of food is cosidered to be especially
healthful in summer, for it gives much good nourishment, cools the liver,
and represses the bile.

I have several questions, here, and am hoping someone may be able to help a
bit.

First, what sort of ounce is he saying- volume, or weight? Isn't that an
awful lot of cinnamon, if by weight? On the orange juice, is that four
ounces, or a mass or volume the same as all the rest together? And what
sort of "broth" is it? It looks to me like a dessert kind of thing, but it
is preceeded and followed by several more savory type of dishes- groats in
broth, millet in a pan, bean porridge, and the like. Any thoughts will be
appreciated.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches