SC - School

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Tue Nov 10 13:57:14 PST 1998

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Hi all from Anne-Marie
>
> We are asked:
> ><< Something just popped out of the back of my head regarding
> > frumently, and I though I'd ask- how do you keep it from scorching,
> > particularly in large batches?  >>
> >

> When we did it, we cooked it in "reasonable" batches at home with
> everything but the raw egg, that we stirred in when it cooled, and sealed
> it in boil in the bag baggies. On site, we brought large pots of water to a
> boil and threw in the bags. When the cold lumps of cooked stuff became soft
> and pliable, the egg was cooked and the stuff was hot through. No burning,
> no scorching. And no pots to  clean on site!

	Ok, just suppose that my cottage kitchen (or castle kitchen,for
that matter) is fresh out of plastic bags. Would a well-seasoned
three-legged iron pot sitting in the coals suffice, given plenty of liquid
and a spare spit-boy to stir? Should it sit near the coals, or hang from a
rod? And would my favorite cast iron pot do as well on top of my !@#$% (I
MUCH prefer gas) stove? I more curious how They did it Then than in how I
could do it now to serve 150 (which is not at all, as I have taken a
solemn vow that I will not be neither Officer nor Autocrat nor take charge
of anything resembling work- Until I am DONE WITH SCHOOL entirely).
	I like the diffuser idea- how could I get my hands on one? Any
ideas?

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731