SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

Phillippa Venn-Brown p.vbrown at tsc.nsw.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 03:20:20 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Many recipes for French breads, crusty rolls and other things call for the
> inclusion of a pan of water on the bottom of the oven. Seems like a better
> idea than opening the door and letting your heat out to spray things.
>
> Ras

OTOH, the spray method works just fine, and appears to produce results
indistinguishable from the pan or ice methods. I had a baking instructor
who swore by wetting and lightly wringing out a kitchen towel, and
cracking it like a whip against the back or floor of the oven, three
times, at five minute intervals. I doubt it matters too much how you do
it, as long as there is some steam at the beginning of the baking process.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com