SC - OT? Price of butter

Knott, Deanna Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com
Thu Nov 12 10:11:32 PST 1998

Ras sez:

> I agree about the inappropriateness of the hosre newslist on the cook's list
> simply on the grounds that said newsletter has no cooking column and no
> recipes were provided with the post.

Actually, I agree with this.  O can you imagine the reaction of the equestrians
if

> May I gently remind you that California has occasionally passed equally
> rediculous laws as have a few other states? Those laws are significant to this
> list only so far as feast planning is concerned. There are many places in the
> US, as well as the world at large (read WWW) where this particular tasty and
> wonderful food is still eaten.

The only other law I can think of that has specifically impacted my feast planning
has been the one regarding sheep's innards that motivated me to curtail my haggis
experiments.  The flood of disgusted noises from my household probably had a
greater impact.  <GGG>  And until the marijuana laws change, you won't find me
trying Hempseed as an ingredient either.  As far as this particular new Horse law
is concerned, I think it's species-ist and sentimental. That wasn't my point.

I've never seen Horse recipes either;  my thanks to THL Etain, our resident An Tir
Import, for her sharp eye on the Bayeaux Tapestry picture.

> Horse, cat, rat , guinea pig and any type of recipe served in period is
> appropriate for this list, IMO. Many of them have been served and are eaten by
> some on this list. Although you personally may not choose to eat them, that is
> not a platform from which to insist others don't and certainly is not any
> reason that discussion and research into their preparation and service can or
> should be stifled.

At no time did I propose stifling discussion nor research.  I was just being
subtly sassy about my mild objection to the equestrain newsletter, and my
inability to use horse recipes even if provided.  Perhaps too subtle. My apologies
for the misunderstanding.

Milord husband relates a tale from his military days in ancient Waris, back when
there was a Berlin Wall, of the time he wandered into the French commissary and
butcher shop, and saw whole 'chat' all cleaned and dressed.  He did not return.
His ethnocentric choice.  We never eat the ones we love?

I want to see Badger's research that proves how humans are Kosher.  My hoof ain't
cloven, friend!  'Long Pig' should be okay for the Atkins Diet, though, come to
think of it... <eeeek!>

Bon appetit
Selene
selene at earthlink.net