SC - pine nuts

Helen him at gte.net
Thu Nov 12 17:16:06 PST 1998

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Decker, Margaret wrote:

> The winter tourney is upon us here in Anesteorra and my question is - what
> would be a good period non-alcoholic hot drink. I know that hot chocolate,
> coffee (as we serve it today) and tea are not in period but are herbal
> infusions and if so which ones?
> Margarite

I would think of cider- readily available in the grocery if you don't have
a press. I mull mine with cinnamon, cloves, and orange peels. Also, I
understand that sekanjabin can be served hot- I have done it in small
quantities, but not by the pot like cider. I made sekanjabin once and was
already started when I found I had no mint (a classic mistake- not
checking your ingredients before starting), so I used the usual mulling
spices and it turned out wonderful, if a bit heavy on the cloves. I also
make hot milk with mace or nutmeg grated on top, but I would think that
you don't want your fighters dozing off in the lists.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731