SC - Convection conversion

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 13 09:04:30 PST 1998

Greetings!

I just read the digest and happened to have Platina here at work.

On Right Pleasure and Good Health
Platina

A critical edition and translation of De Honesta Voluptate et Valetudine
by Mary Ella Milham

Book VII, part 49

Hemp Dish

Make a hemp dish for twelve guests in this way: cook a pound of well washed
hemp until it splits open.  When it is cooked, add a pound of almonds.  When
it has been pounded with bread crumbs in a mortar, moisten it with lean
stock, and stir it into a pot through a sieve.  Then, when it has been
places on the hearth, stir it frequently with a spoon.  When it is almost
cooked, put in a half pound of sugar, a half ounce of ginger, and a little
saffron with rose water.  When it is cooked and apportioned on serving
dishes, sprinkle with rather sweet spices.  I think this is very similar to
baricocoli of the people of Siena, for an extraordinary dish has been made
from many ordinary things, but it is also difficult to digest and causes
squeamishness and pain.

Book VII, part 68

For Hemp

Leave hemp seed in water a day and a night, then throw away what floats on
top as useless.  Pound this with well cleaned almonds, and when it is
pounded, soak in pea juice.  Add a bit of sugar and rose water, and cook all
together, mixing well, for four-fifths of an hours.  Cassius Hemina reacts
badly to this food, than which nothing can be more harmful, he claims.

Book VIII, part 57

Hemp Balls

In a mortar, grind hemp seed well, so cooked that it shows its hulls split,
with cleaned almonds.  When it is ground, soak in fresh water, and pass
through a sieve into a pot.  It is necessary that it boil a little with a
bit of salt and sugar, and pepper should be added, if that also pleases you.
Let it boil again for a little while.  You will prepare slightly toasted
bits of bread, and put this food into serving dishes; spread out the bits
themselves as if they were on a board.  Make three or four layers of them.
Finally, sprinkle spices, especially the sweet variety, sparingly.  This is
completely to be fled from, for it nourishes badly, arouses squeamishness,
generates pain in the stomach and intestines, and dulls the eyes.

BTW, from all the research I have done, sterilized hemp seeds are legal in
the United States as a food product.  I don't know where to get them, but
that is what I have heard.

Yours,
Avelina

Deanna Knott