SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 12:10:41 PST 1998

>This brings me back to an issue I have visited before because of this
>very phenomena.  How does one do a feast for prices we set in the 70's
or
>80's (5 - 6 dollars a head - does that sound about average for
everybody?
>  - and .50 - 1.00 for breakfasts?)

Do you really charge a "traditional" fee, no matter what the costs? That
seems crazy.
I don't think around here that the feast fee is determined by costs way
back when, but rather on actual cost or expected attendance.

Scenario A:  Cook says "I'm doing this, and it costs $x per head" and
the negotiations start from there as to what might be found more cheaply
than the cook found it, what corners might have to be cut, what dishes
are just not going to stay on the menu.  Usually, the cook has fought
this out themself and come to a reasonable feast for $6-10 so no
negotiations are necessary.  A cook with a proven track record  and/or
the event is a traditional sell out would get away with fees on the high
end.  A cook of unknown quality or at a new event will have to keep to a
smaller budget.

Scenario B: Autocrat says, we expect to take in $XXX and of that the
cook gets $X to feed Y people. When the flyer appears and the feast cost
is super low, the populace knows its gonna be a simple, one course meal,
with a liklihood of not period and quite obvious shortcuts.

Bonne