SC - Re:Hemp Seed again

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Sat Nov 14 05:40:26 PST 1998

At 9:22 AM -0800 11/13/98, Bonne of Traquair wrote:

>Usually, the cook has fought
>this out themself and come to a reasonable feast for $6-10 so no
>negotiations are necessary.

Is your $6-$10 the cost of producing the feast, or the event fee? It sounds
high for the former. We haven't done a feast recently, but I would be
surprised if we couldn't bring one in for under $5 a head. Of course, that
is not counting the cost of renting the hall, or other associated
costs--just the food.

>Scenario B: Autocrat says, we expect to take in $XXX and of that the
>cook gets $X to feed Y people. When the flyer appears and the feast cost
>is super low, the populace knows its gonna be a simple, one course meal,
>with a liklihood of not period and quite obvious shortcuts.

This seems to assume that period food is more expensive than non-period,
and that one course meals cost less than two or three course meals. I don't
think either is in general true.

Lots of period recipes use inexpensive ingredients--chicken, pork, rice,
breadcrumb thickening, turnips, ....  . Doing a fancy feast--standing rib
roast, or venison (if you don't have hunters)--may be expensive, but that
is true whether it is period or not.

A feast with many dishes is much more work than a feast with only a few,
but it isn't obviouslymore expensive--if you have three courses, you have
about a third as much food in each course--perhaps a little more, since
people will be eating for longer. I suppose there might be more waste in
the more elaborate feast, but I'm not sure there has to be.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/