SC - Re:Hemp Seed again

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 14 06:49:47 PST 1998

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> I don't believe I have ever seen these kinds of ?serving suggestions? at
> the end of a recipie before!  One wonders why there are 3 recipies for
> something that is obviously painful to ingest? ;}
> Christianna

There are other examples. Platina has some pretty amusing things to say
at the end of some (I think it's) eel pie recipe. He says, nonchalantly,
that when you are done making this lovely pie you should give it to your
enemies, because there can be no better or more effective poison. I
assume the reason he includes such recipes because while they contravene
the prevailing medical advice of the period, they are popular. Somewhat
akin to Paul Prudhomme knowing full well how to make wonderful chicken
fried in lard, but also knowing if he eats it he'll die.

There's some similar stuff in Anthimus' De obseruaitone ciborum, I
vaguely recall he is against people eating roasted cheese.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com