SC - Aaaaagh!!! (was Haggis)

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Nov 16 21:53:31 PST 1998

While it does not have Period recipes as such I have a cookbook entitled
_The Complete Venison Cookbook_ by Harold W. Webster, Jr. ISBN
0-937552-70-4 (c)1996 Quail Ridge Press. It is over 400 pgs of recipes
for Venison in all its incarnations and the good stuff that goes with it.
 Here is their recipe for (pg 107)
 Herbed Venison Round Roast in a Salt Crust.
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated onion
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 (2 1/2 to 3 lb.) venison round roast
1 (3 lb.) box Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
1 1/4 cups water

Combine olive oil, onion, garlic salt, basil leaves,marjoram leaves,
thyme leaves, and black pepper in a heavy 1-gallon plastic bag and mix
well.  Add venison roast and marinate in a refridgerate overnight. Line a
roasting pan with aluminum foil. Combine salt and water to make a thick
paste. Pat 1 cup salt paste into a 1/2" thick rectangle in the bottom of
the pan. Pat roast dry and insert a meat thermometer.  Place roast on the
salt layer; pack the remaining salt paste around the meat to well.  Bake
at 275 degrees until meat thermometer reads 140 degrees: 1 1/2 to 2
hours. Steam may cause the salt crust to crack slightly during the
roasting.  Remove the roast from the oven; let stand for 10 minutes.
Remove and discard the calt crust.  Serves 8 - 10.

Loads of yummy looking recipes and no hunters... Heavy sigh..
Genevia