SC - haggis

Jgoldsp@aol.com Jgoldsp at aol.com
Tue Nov 17 14:49:45 PST 1998

Greetings from Elizabeth,

I'm a little late in replying. Work has been busy.

Someone asked about a pan of water in the bottom of the oven vs spraying
the oven. I have to admit I haven't tried the pan of water, but it would
seem to me that many little drops on the oven's surface would evaporate
faster and give a higher overall "burst" of humidity than would a pan
of water. But I'm not sure that the overall consistant level of humidity
given by the pan wouldn't do just as good a job as the burst from the
spayer.

(How's that for a wishy-washy answer? :-)  )

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Korrin S DaArdain wrote:
> As I think about it, the sudden blast of steam could be dangerious if the
> door is not closed fast enough.

Uh, I've never found it to be hot enough to be dangerous. Eye-glass-fogging,
yes, but not scalding. And my Momma always told me that a steam-bath was
good for the skin. ;-)

> I suggest you use ice cubes, you will
> retain more moisture in the oven in this manner and have less risk of
> injuries.
> Korrin S. DaArdain
> Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.

I'll admit the ice-cube or pan method may produce more overall retained
moisture.

I tell you what -- my husband has a crew o' friends coming over to pour
cement in the workshop this weekend. I plan to feed them fresh bread a
couple of times over the course of the day. I'll try both the spray and
ice-cube/pan methods and let you all know what kind of crust each one
produced.

Elizabeth
Gaudium est in Factio (The Joy is in the Doing.)
Mistress Elizabeth "E.B." Braidwood, Northern Region, An Tir
braidwood at antir.sca.org  or donna at kwantlen.bc.ca