SC - Men who can cook!!!

wulf@hilconet.com wulf at hilconet.com
Tue Nov 17 22:54:00 PST 1998

Phil Anderson wrote:

> Eleina writes:
>
> >Remember here please, that Robyn is talking Australian $$ which are worth
> >about .60 US $$ right now.  So a $12 feast fee would be $8 US - right on
> >for many US SCA locales.
>
> You can't actually treat exchange rates like that - it's quite possible
> that despite the rate of exchange, one Australian dollar means as about
> much to an Aussie as one US dollar does to you. (For example, the New
> Zealand dollar recently dropped for US$0.75 to under US$0.50 over a few
> months, but prices and wages here didn't change in that time.)
>
> Edward Long-hair
> Southron Gaard, Caid

Or maybe not...from conversations I've had with some gentlemen who visited from
the British Isles (when the exchange rate was just about 2US to
1pound....showing the time-line this would be about 5 or 6 years ago), they
guessed the price of our house within $8,000US based on the exchange rate and
what they would pay for it in England.  The prices US did not surprise them on
anything but meat and cigarettes.  I suspect that the amount they pay varies
more because of regonal differences than anything.  Keep in mind, the entire
time, we were all doing the math, and they were not in the least thrown into a
"That cost $2US?  That only costs us 1pound." spin.  Besides, the cost of living
does not increase or decrease every time the exchange rate does....it is based
more on the stock market, gold prices, and government gold holdings than the
money all of us take home everyday.

Brenna