SC - European vs. Middle Eastern-addendum to OT

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Wed Nov 18 13:41:07 PST 1998

>Each of these areas is for the most part completely unfamiliar with cooks
that
>have attained that status in the last 20 years. A friend of mine who is
paying
>someone to learn professional cooking didn't even know how to clean a
chicken
>let alone slaughter it.
>
>The fact that  ao-called professional cooking schools fail dramatically in
>teaching their students the most fundamental of skills is appalling enough.
>That this pre-frozen, commercialized half-knowledge of basic cooking skills
>has filtered into the general populace is appaling. :-(
>
>Ras

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels like this.  Mundanely, I
have been in the food service profession for about 15 years.  I do not have
my culinary degree, and I feel that I have learned more than some folks who
do have their degree, just by doing.  It is very frustrating to work at
times in these conditions. Also, I have found that some of these so-called
"chefs" do not even have enough sense to clean up after themselves and
expect the "Kitchen help" to do it for them. (OK I'll stop ranting now! ;))

My first feast that I did for the SCA was for 100 people.  When someone who
didn't know that I had done this sort of thing before heard it, she told me
that it would probably be rough and good luck.  I then told her that it
shouldn't be a problem because I was at the time working at a sorority house
and feeding 80 ppl per night without any real kitchen help.  The feast came
off fine, the kitchen was clean within an hour after feast ended, and I
enjoyed the rest of the night!

As I say "Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"  (Please excuse
the language)

Luveday

(who has been doing the food service thing for WAAAYYYY too long!!!!)

"Understanding the history of the dish you are preparing will allow you to
put a little more of your heart and soul into what you're cooking."--Chef
Jimmy Schmidt