SC - Fire Pits et al

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Nov 19 06:51:11 PST 1998

In my area, we have a bunch of city folks who come down hunting because in
Ohio, we're in Zone C, which means two deer per gun season, only one of
which is to be antlered. A few years ago, a fellow came in, swearing he'd
got a deer, and when the guy came out to tag it, found the idiot had shot
and tagged a goat. When the man was finally convinced he had a goat, they
took him back to the farmer who it belonged to, and the guy charged the
"hunter $1000 for his "specially bred, angora goat". Wasn't anything the
hunter could do- after all he'd shot it, and in my head, it served him
right, since he wasn't supposed to be hunting on that farm anyway.

I've spent a lot of time hunting on farms which are usually restricted to
family, because they know I know what I'm doing, and I help keep idiots off
their ground. One time, I had to fire a couple shots at some idiot who kept
shooting at me, sure I was a deer, Hunter's Orange and all. One hit me,
gave me a nasty bruise on my back, though fortunately it was pretty well
spent.

When I had Great Danes, I used to put Hunter's Orange vests on them, to
prevent them getting shot. A couple years ago, my friend Mike thought he'd
spray paint his cattle with the word, "COW" on their sides, so that they
wouldn't get shot. Figuring that most city folks don't know the difference,
he painted the same thing on his goats- after all, goats are smaller. Just
as he finished the goats, he turned around, and there was a line of deer,
waiting their turn.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches