SC - Sotelty question-Pirates

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Mon Nov 23 08:51:06 PST 1998

"LHG, JRG" wrote:

> I am beginning to see a pattern to some of my favorite English words.
> Bear Writes:"domestic pig, Sus scrofa" , which calls to my mind that
> wonderful adjective "scrofulous" (exceedingly filthy). Then we have the
> description "suss out" (to discover by rooting around).
>
> What a wonderfully descriptive language we use! Can anyone think of anymore
> examples of "Pig English"?
>
> Aoife---taking notes for use in future crossword puzzles

What about Lindsey Davis' "The Silver Pigs", which title refers to
ingots of unrefined metal after its first smelting. The molds are
connected to a main reservoir via a series of runnels or sprues, and the
setup is said to look like pigs suckling on (off?) a sow. The book, BTW,
is an absolutely wonderful hard-boiled private-eye novel set in
Vespasian's Rome. All the Hammett/Chandler/Spillane cliches are there in
some refreshing new (old?) form.

I also ran across a reference to a porcine method of docking submarines
to tenders, which accounts for the term, as used by the Royal Navy, pigboats.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy