SC - Pork Assumptions: Pro and Con

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Tue Nov 24 01:17:32 PST 1998

	Rowan said:

	> At 19:48 19/11/1998 -0600, Helen wrote:
	> >	How do you handle crawfish shells and barbeque bones etc. at
a feast?

	> The same way you handle other remains - slops bowls on the tables
or taken
	> around between courses by the servers...

	This may be another differance between regions. I think I like the
idea, but
	I don't remember seeing it done in Ansteorra. I had been in the SCA
several
	years before I even saw the idea of slop bowls on an individual
basis done.
	Mostly, the leftovers are just left on the side of the plates until
the
	end of the meal and then dumped in some central trashcan.

	Stefan li Rous
	Ansteorra (Austin, TX)
	stefan at texas.net

Another weirdness about Ansteorra to which I will have to adjust.  *sigh*

The simplest method is to have a second serving-type dish into which the
bones etc. are placed.  I don't know if y'all do this at home, but in mine
we did, whether shelling nuts, gnawing ribs, or eating artichokes.  We had a
separate bowl or dish into which the refuse was placed for easy removal.

I've seen this in the SCA.  Empty pie plates are returned, or some other
empty dish is used, for holding the bones, bits, burnt crust, and other
things (some) people don't eat.  This keeps the refuse from the first course
from spoiling diner's appetites as they move through the other courses.

- ---= Morgan