SC - Pork Assumptions

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 05:56:50 PST 1998

> Ras said:
> > While Platina may be a poor example, the inventory of Charlemagne's
> estates
> > clearly shows a diffierentiation between 'hogs' and 'pigs'. It also
> shows
> > that
> > a goodly number of those hogs were specifically raised and slaughtered
> for
> > lard.
>
> What is it in the inventory of Charlemagne's estates that that makes you
> think
> that "a goodly number of those hogs were specifically raised and
> slaughtered
> for lard"?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   stefan at texas.net

In my case, it would be the number of fresh sides of "lard".  Asnapium was a
small estate and the number of fresh sides represents over 20 percent of the
total swine production.  It is possible that Asnapium's chief product was
pork in it's various incarnation, so that the quantities of swine are
misleading, but there is no indication of this.

Another interesting point is that there were 10 of last year's sides.  That
and the large quantity of new sides, suggest that these sides may be salted
or smoked.

Bear