SC - Food processors

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Nov 24 08:23:47 PST 1998

I have an off brand (can't even tell you which) that has lasted at least 10
years BUT I only use it occasionally.  It is perfect for chopping or
grinding nuts, I love it for shredding the potatoes, onion, etc. for potato
pancakes.  But for general household use it is faster to use a knife and
cutting board than it is to clean all the parts of the processor after
chopping one onion.  For feast prep where you may have to chop dozens of
onions in advance... its a good thing.  (Just be aware you need to give the
thing storage space between uses.)

As for meat.. I would be concerned that you would get too much of a mushy
paste, but it might be worth trying.  (I have been told (in relation to
making marzipan) that the speed at which a food processors blade spins
generates heat and that may affect your product.

My 2 pf worth.

Gwen-Cat
Caerthe
- -------------
Original Text
From: "Stefan li Rous" <stefan at texas.net>, on 11/23/1998 10:32 PM:
When wandering through Sam's Warehouse this evening I spotted two different
food processors. One was the big name brand and was around $140 or so with
various attachments. The other was smaller and had fewer attachments but
was only about $50 or so.

While I will probably go look up what Consumers Reports says, I'm curious
to find out how many of you really use a food processor for medieval type
cooking? And if so, what do you use it for? Are there any features I
should look for? Any that are worthless or that I should avoid? Which
accessories/blades have you found useful?

I do remember Baroness Clarissa using one when I have been at her house
cooking for upcoming feasts.

I do not cook big feasts and am only getting into period cooking but do
occasional dishes here at home and often for pot lucks both inside and
outside the SCA.

Hmmm. Along the lines of another thread on sausage grinders and stuffers,
would a food processor do a good job of grinding meat for sausage? Then
one of the funnels described could be used to stuff the casings.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  Ansteorra
  stefan at texas.net