SC - Re:Breakfast at WAR

CONNECT@aol.com CONNECT at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 08:23:54 PST 1998

> TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:
>

> >  According to a lot of people, Celts are always barbaric, a slanderous
> >  opinion which seems to have run from the Neolithic to the Present.
> >
> A lot of people are wrong.  During the MA, the Celtic Irish were the only
> ones
> who kept the art of writing and illumination alive.
>
> Mordonna

It depends on your point of view.  They were certainly barbarians to the
Hellenics (as was everyone else).

The Romans considered them barbaric when they moved into Italy early in the
1st Century BC (IIRC).  Julius Caesar seems to have considered them
barbaric, but hardy fighters.  His comments on the sea-faring tribes he
encountered in Gaul are worthy of note.

Until their conversion, the Irish were noted as pirates and raiders.  Irish
pirates settled in Scotland and became a major part of the Scots.

Norman England considered the Irish a troublesome and barbaric lot, but that
may be sour grapes from the waxing their ancestors took at Clontarf.

Rather than barbaric, we Celts should be considered colorfully belligerent.
A grand, family-oriented civilization which created art and literature and
sent missionaries to Africa at a time when most of Europe was scrabbling to
survive.  By the time, Europe aspired to our level, we Celts had spent
ourselves holding back the night and others claimed what was ours (that's a
Welsh longbow, not English).

Bear (SCA Irish of Welsh descent)