SC - Rastons experiment

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 25 16:27:48 PST 1998

>The recipe for rastons uses an egg enriched dough.  It might have been used
>as you suggest, but I think it may be a predecessor to fruit breads.
>
>There is supposed to be a recipe earlier than this one for "Wastels yfarced"
>(IIRC) which I do not have and may shed some light on how stuffed breads
>were served.
>
>Bear

Hello!  I also use 1/2 cup clarified butter, & re-heat the bread in a warm
oven for about 10 minutes.  The problem I have with this recipe is that it
is very messy to eat.  The buttered crumbs fall all over the place, & leave
greasy stains.

The recipe for Wastels yfarced (Forme of Cury, p. 72):

Take a Wastel and hewe out [th]e crinnes.  take ayren & shepis talow &
[th]e crinne of [th]e same Wastell powdor fort & salt wt Safron and Raisons
corance. & medle alle [th]ise yfere & do it in [th]e Wastel. close it &
bynde it fast togidre. and see[th] it wel.

As you can see, this one is tied & boiled like a pudding.

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net