SC - OT - inalienable freedom of speech

Thu Nov 26 05:50:01 PST 1998

> The word "inalienable" appears, IIRC, in the Declaration of
> Independence, the Preamble is part of the Constitution, and freedom of
> speech is guaranteed to American citizens in the Bill of Rights, the
> first ten amendments to the Constitution. The trouble is that at the
> time (roughly 1776 through 1791), virtually no government on Earth
> guaranteed such freedoms to its citizens, and most still don't, at least
> not officially and in writing.
>
> Oh, and another thing Americans frequently forget, when they do whatever
> the bleep they want, anywhere and at any time, since they're guaranteed
> such a level of freedom, is the freedom to rot in the calaboose.

And another thing is that it's not a guaranteed right.  Ever met someone who tells a
police officer or judge to "Go to hell?" It's not a pretty sight.  Exercise your
freedom of speech, just not at anyone in authority.  Most of our rights have
loopholes, most for good reason.  Exercise your freedom of religion, just don't
infringe on anyone elses' rights in the process (ie don't use them as human
sacrifices or pursecute them for your religion).  Exercise your freedom of press,
unless it's a matter of national security.

You recall correctly about the DoI.  The inalienable rights to life, liberty, and
the pursuit of happiness...that's what it says, folks.  The preamble says:  We the
people, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic
tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and insure
the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our prosperity, do ordain and establish
this constitiution for the United States of America.  Yes, the basic freedoms we're
talking about are guaranteed (as close as we can) in the Bill of Rights (most in the
first 5).  BTW, the constitution was ratified in 1787.  And the Declaration of
Independence was not completely signed until 1779...what a hoot.

Brenna
(don't ask how I memorized all of this...you don't want to know...but, I believe
that the kids today need to learn all this the way I did...maybe they'll get a clue)