SC - Thanksgiving

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Nov 28 22:52:19 PST 1998

Mistress Christianna MacGrain asked:

> Ok, so who else used their family/friends/household as guinea pigs
> yesterday?  I did 4 recipies I had gotten off of this list, with varying
> success.

My wife fixed savory toasted cheese (cheese goo) in a bread bowl for the
gathering at my brother's. And there was no problem with it leaking out of
the bread bowl. :-)  The interesting thing was that when we went to her
mother's house, we found out that her mother had made savory toasted cheese
for her gathering, too. My wife had fixed it for her last year and given
her the recipe. It's spreading!

I tried the prunes stuffed with a hazelnut and boiled in mead and pepper and
then wrapped in bacon for our pot luck at work. I had prepared it earlier in
the week at home as a test using almonds since I didn't have the hazelnuts
then. I'm having lots of problems cooking the bacon evenly. The first time
I put them in a bowl in the microwave. The bottoms of the rolls got scorched
while the top was much less cooked. Part of the problem may have been the
sweet mead I was using (some found in the back of the refrigerator from
several years ago. I think the honey wanted to caramelize. The second time
I drained the prunes after boiling them.

The second time, I cooked the rolls in a skillet and kept stirring them
to even the browning out.  Still got them overdone in some areas which
got worse when I rewarmed them at work in the microwave.

I used 1/3 of a slice of bacon around each prune, just enough to go around
and overlap a little. I was worried about using too much bacon and completely
hiding the prune. Perhaps I should have done that, as some of the prune rolls
wanted to unroll. Also, more people might have eaten them if they hadn't realized
they had a prune in them. But those that tried them thought they were good. I
heard several folks telling others to try the prunes since they were good.
I had a sheet of paper with the dish explaining that is was possible recreation
of a medieval Norse dish and giving the directions.

Stefan li Rous
Ansteorra
stefan at texas.net