SC - Thanksgiving

Diana Haven tantralya at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 29 06:45:22 PST 1998

Well, having seen everyone else's dinners, I'm feeling a bit of a piker.
Turkey is the LAST thing we're likely to serve on our table- my mother
worked for many years at the Alexandria Va Detox, and all they served was
turkey- turke burgers, ground turkey, turkey ham, turkey cutlets, turkey
bacon, etc, and since she's up visiting from S. Carolina, turkey was
definitely NOT on the menu!

We went to visit some friends for T'day, Mama, a 94 year-old lady friend,
her son Junior, both good Southern folks, my mother, her boyfriend Tommy,
Andrew MacRobb, whom some here may know, and me.

Mama and Jr had made:

Roast chicken and stuffing
Pumpkin Pie
Sweet Potato Pie
Sliced Tomatoes and Onions
Biscuits

We brought:

"Duck in the Weeds" w/elderberry-mint sauce
A cold vegetable salad
Another roast chicken
Squirrel gravy
Beverages

Recipes:

"Duck in the Weeds"

Defat, pierce, and salt ducks, inside and out. Roast at low heat, 225 or so,
until most of the fat is rendered out,  and the duck is done to perfection-
4-5 hours. Serve on a "nest" of wild and brown rice ( I like Uncle Ben's
spice blend) and surround with spears of broccoli, whole green and wax
beans, and sugar peas. Am seriously considering adding as another garnish,
imitation ducks eggs made as a subtlety- any suggestions?

Elderberry and mint sauce:

Actually, this is pretty easy, and varies depending on what flavors of
jellies or jams I feel like using in it.

A jar of your favorite jelly or jam
1/2 jar of mint jelly
Red wine
Cornstarch

Mix jellies and/ or jams in small saucepan and gently melt, adding a
tablespoon or two of wine to help liquify. When heated through and liquid,
and some cornstarch mixed with another spoonful of wine to thicken to
desired consistancy. Place a puddle on the diner's plate and place the duck
therein- pass the rest. I sometimes put a bit on top of the duck, to
contrast with the perfectly browned skin.

Cold vegetable salad:

Get a package of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans, peas,
etc. combo) Add chopped onion and mini cauliflower florets. Marinate
overnight in your favorite vingar and oil dressing- this time I used
balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil- with, as necessary, pepper and
garlic powder. Drain shortly before serving in a collander, and mix in a
good quality mayonaisse with a couple of tablespoons of brown mustard. Keep
chilled, and serve.

Since we were on the move, I undercooked everything a bit and finished it up
at Mama and Junior's place. While we were doing the final heating, Junior
and Tommy went hunting and brought us in a big red squirrel, so we boiled
the blazes out of it, deboned it, added a bit of salt, pepper, allspice and
garlic powder, and served it as gravy.

Phlip, who believes in doing T'day smarter, not harder

Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom

Southeastern Ohio