SC -request quince jelly again

Jerry & Marie iverson at bayou.com
Sun Nov 29 21:15:58 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/29/98 9:04:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Dill Picles
 > Bread and Butter Pickles

 What is the differance between these two? ...<snip>...The second has what? >>

The second is a type of sweet pickle.

<<Are these both period? >>

Not that I know of.

 > Ham Boiled then Baked in Apple Cider...<snip>...did you change the cider
between boiling and baking? >>

I initially boiled the ham in water to cover for about 45 mins. Then I drained
it. Put it in a roasting pan poured in one quart of apple cider and one quart
of water. Cover closely with a well fitting lid or as I did, foil.. I baked it
over night at 225 deg. F.

<<Did you use hard (alcoholic) cider? >>

I used cider with some fizz. I assume it was alcoholic. As I don't subscribe
to commersial companies redefining words, always assume that I mean REAL cider
when using the word. Cider is by definition slightly fermented otherwise it is
merely apple juice.

<<Why not just bake it? What does the boiling add?>>

The boiling removes the preservative, in this case salt. you could achieve
similar results by soaking the ham in several changes of water but boiling
reduces the time for removing the salt considerably. Then the final baking
tenderizes it beyond your wildest dreams and turns the ham into a haunting
succulent roast with just a mere hint of sweetness. The broth will actually
increase as it roasts instead of decreasing and makes a wonderful sauce with
the addition of some cornstarch paste.

 <<Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous >>

No problem. I thought you would have mastered this technique when you were
playing with your Smithfield. :-)

Ras