SC - Thanksgiving-oop

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Mon Nov 30 12:00:43 PST 1998

> A number of illuminations have pictures of small dogs running around the
> top of the table.  Look at the table in the January calendar page of the
> Tres Riches Heures.  There's also a servant who appears to be feeding a
> small greyhound on the floor.
>
> Food in History, Tannahill, has a 15th C. woodcut from Ferrara showing
> all sorts of bones and stuff on the floor surrounding the table of
> diners.  Several types of dogs are gnawing on them. p. 232.

Speaking of greyhounds, what other dogs would be typical in a Medieval
household?  I had someone tell me about bull mastiffs as war dogs, but what
about what I think of as typical hunting dogs today: hounds (beagles, bassets,
blood) terriers, springer spaniels, labradors.  Would these be considered newer
breeds or changed from medieval times?  I am also under the assumption (going on
the food theme) that you would have specific types of dogs for specific types of
hunting-or am I incorrect to assume that greyhounds are better at running down
deer, hound doggers are better for small game and fowl.  I remember reading in
one of the "life in a medieval (fill in blank)" they talked about keeping their
dogs in the stable, but never really specified what kind of dog.  And what about
the smaller dogs we use for lapdogs?  I know some of them were "ladies/empress'
dogs" in china, just as expensive pets.