SC - Meals and other observations-OOP

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 18:52:42 PST 1998

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:55:08 -0600 "Sharon R. Saroff" <sindara at pobox.com>
writes:
>Since I ate at my sister's, I did not get to cook this year. I am,
however
>planning to do a belated feast this weekend for friends.  I am searching
>for Middle Eastern recipes to serve with the Turkey.  The turkey will be
my
>mess-up proof recipe of apple-breadcrumb stuffing (using almonds instead
of
>walnuts because one of my guests has an an allergy) and basting in
orange
>juice and a coating of onion and garlic powder, tarragon, marjoram,
thyme,
>basil, cilantro, parsley and mint.
>
>I would love recipe suggestions.
>
>Thanks,
>Sindara

I will point out that Turkey is a new world bird and was one of the food
sources for the Aztecs.

And for thouse who don't care,

Turkey Pasties

2 frozen pastry-style pie shells (or your favorite recipe)
2 Tbs (30 ml) butter or margarine
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped onions
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped celery
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped pecans
3 cups (750 ml) cooked turkey or chicken meat, coarsely chopped
1+1/2 tsp (7 ml) caraway seeds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Roll the pastry dough out and cut into 8 squares, each about 4 x 4 inches
(10 x 10 cm) and transfer to a greased baking sheet.  Melt the butter in
a saucepan over moderate heat and saute the onion, celery, and pecans,
until the onions are lightly browned.  Add the remaining ingredients,
stir to combine, and remove from heat.  Divide the filling between the 8
pastry squares, and fold each square in half over the filling, forming
triangles.  Seal the edges with the tines of a fork.  Bake in a preheated
400F (200C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned.  Makes 8.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com, (www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1709)