SC - Thanksgiving - OOP

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 19:06:54 PST 1998

> Speaking of greyhounds, what other dogs would be typical in a Medieval
> household?  I had someone tell me about bull mastiffs as war dogs, but what
> about what I think of as typical hunting dogs today: hounds (beagles, bassets,
> blood) terriers, springer spaniels, labradors.  Would these be considered
> newer
> breeds or changed from medieval times?

These are the only ones in the one book that have dates that are in the SCA's time frame, or mention specific times which I think are within the SCA's time.  I could be wrong on some of the "dates".  This is from my book: "How to Choose & Care for Your Dog" by Joan Palmer, copyright 1982.

Italian Greyhounds, Bichon Frise, Papillon, Lowchen, English Toy Spaniel, Cavalier English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Spaniel (AKA: Japanese Chin), Miniature Dachshund, Pug,  Cairn Terrier, Irish Terrier, Standard Dachshund, Skye Terrier, Basenji, Scottish Terrier, West Highland White Terrier, Cocker Spaniel (English), Beagles, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Welsh Springer Spaniel, Field Spaniel, Shar-Pei, Bulldog, Puli, Finnish Spitz, Whippet, Standard Schnauzer, Catahoula Leopard Dog, English Shepherd, Swiss Hunting Dogs, Keeshond(Was know preceding the French Revolution), Samoyed, Standard Poodle, English Springer Spaniel, Clumber Spaniel, Elkhound, English Foxhound (Crossed between the Talbot & St. Hubert Hounds which are extinct and came from the Norman Invaders to England), American Foxhound, Harrier, Plott Hound, English Coonhound, Pharaoh Hound, Ibizan Hound, Sloughi, Saluki, Afghan Hound, Greyhound, Bearded Collie, Rough Collie, English Setter, Gordon Setter, German Shepherd, Boxer, Hovawart, Chow Chow, Otterhound, Rottweiler, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Briard, Vizsla, Kuvasz, Bernese Mountain Dog, Polish Sheepdog, Old English Sheepdog, Estrela Mountain Dog, Anatolian Karabash, Tibetan Mastiff, Borzoi, Bloodhound (was brought to England by William the Coqueror in 1066), Irish Wolfhound, Scottish Deerhound, Great Pyrenees Mountain Dog, Maremma Sheepdog, Komondor, Mastiff (NOT Bull Mastiff), Great Dane, and the St. Bernard.

>  I am also under the assumption (going
> on
> the food theme) that you would have specific types of dogs for specific types
> of
> hunting-or am I incorrect to assume that greyhounds are better at running down
> deer, hound doggers are better for small game and fowl.  I remember reading in
> one of the "life in a medieval (fill in blank)" they talked about keeping
> their
> dogs in the stable, but never really specified what kind of dog.  And what
> about
> the smaller dogs we use for lapdogs?  I know some of them were
> "ladies/empress'
> dogs" in china, just as expensive pets.

Yes you would have different breeds for different hunting activities.   Like the Great Dane was used in The Middle Ages as a body gueard and to chase wild boar.

Just some doggie information.  If anyone wants more information, I can give you what I have out of several of my dog breed books.

Dierdre