OT/OOP - Triticale (was Re: SC - Re:Breakfast at WAR)

kat kat at kagan.com
Mon Nov 30 19:28:18 PST 1998

Diana writes:

>>Sweet potato casserole--sweet enough for dessert, with a topping of brown
sugar,  pecans, and butter. *Wonderful* stuff!<<

and

>> still stuffed, but wishing she'd managed to come home with some
of the sweet potatoes.................. ;-)<<

Er, I have a recipe for something that sounds like what you describe.  Until I
tried it (at our office TG pot-luck) I hadn't met a sweet potato I ever liked.
This stuff was wonderful, tho!

If anyone wants the recipe (it is out of a "weird" magazine) I'll be glad to
post it.  Ah, what the heck, I'll post it anyhow!

Suzanne's Sweet Potato Casserole (I have no idea who Suzanne is)

Filling

2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 4) peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping
4 oz chopped pecans, about 1 cup
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup melted butter

For the filling:  in a large pot cover potatoes with cold water and bring to a
boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are
tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth.  Let stand until cooled
slightly, about 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 2 quart baking dish. In a bowl,
combine potatoes with next 5 ingredients. Spread mixture in baking dish.

For topping, mix pecans, sugar and flour, then stir in butter until mixture is
combined. Sprinkle pecan mixture over potato mixture.

Bake until top is browned and casserole is set in the middle, 40-45 minutes.

Enjoy!

Renata
Barony of Altavia
Kingdom of Caid