SC - Which books?

Phillippa Venn-Brown p.vbrown at tsc.nsw.edu.au
Tue Nov 3 01:06:48 PST 1998

Bonne said
"A late period Renaissance feast will be offered, for in the mind of the
> autocrat, it is always 1531." I've had offers of the loan of books.  With
that
> quotation in mind, which books do I want to borrow?  If one of
> you experienced cooks were faced with this, what is the first book you
would
> reach for?  And per chance, what recipe might you be hunting up?

Good my lady.
While traveling in England a few years ago I did Visit Hampton Court Palace
and especially their reconstructed Tudor kitchens. It was a marvelous
experience. They have it set out with dishes in preparation for Henry
VIII's midsummer feast of 1540.

The English History or Royal Trust people have published two books which
might be helpful in your quest. One is a guide to the recreation of the
kitchens with lots of photos and lots of info about kitchens and the other
is a cookery book containing some of the recipes used (both in the original
and redacted) with lots of photos too. I am not sure of the titles but will
check them when I am home and will post them on Friday when I get back to
work. While not exhaustive they are certainly worth a look.

Filippa Ginevra