SC - period items

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Nov 3 23:22:19 PST 1998

Hi everybody,

Is there a web site with the history of alcohol?  I seem to keep
'reinventing the wheel' every time I have a question about which wines,
etc., which places and which times.  We need more time lines in this
society!

Also, what kind of plum is a 'bullace' plum, and is it ripe in July?  Do
we have a comparable plum on the market?  I'm going to try using the
Lorey de Boolas as a cold soup, because I have an old fashioned rose with
lavendar/pink petals that would nicely garnish a red plum creamy soup.
I'm starting menu composition for a feast in July '99, and I want to
reconstruct some of Cindy's Vol. II, and do some of Hieatt's _Pottage_,
also--just not quite the way she does it.  I'm glad my focus can be
authentic, not commercial.

I'm going through the sources, mentally 'tasting'.  There wouldn't be any
calories, that way (if I'd stop nibbling the left-over Hallowe'en candy).

Our British cousins use the term 'vegetable marrow', which may be some
sort of squash.  Reading the word 'marrow' made me wonder when that word
came to be used for a veggie as well as the rich stuff inside bones.
Haven't actually read anything tonight that I think could be the veggie,
but it's nice to know these things.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA