SC - Milady, My Lady or my lady

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Nov 4 07:46:26 PST 1998

Brenna asked...

I have a really OT question.  I find that people often call me "Lady Brenna"
(not milady, but LADY).  In an effort to not "take airs,"  I gently remind
them
that I'm not awarded such an honor.  What is the best way to deal with this
and not come off as snooty or offend the person?  It happens allot and I've
gotten many a dirty look when I correct people, but I know quite a few
people who would give me dirty looks if I didn't.

What they are prolly doing is calling you lady Brenna <read lady, not Lady).
This is a common courtesy. Not an asssumption that you have your AoA or of
Noble birth. You know...Better to err on the side of courtesy than
insult....

I wouldn't say anything, just accept the courtesy owed.

Micaylah