SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1067

Marian DeBorah Rosenberg Marian.DeBorah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Wed Nov 4 10:57:54 PST 1998

- --- You wrote:

Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 21:22:49 -0500
From: Marilyn Traber <margali at 99main.com>
Subject: Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1053

> A rumpot?  This sounds like an interesting idea . . . do you need a special
> type of container for one?

I bought a 2.5 gallon pickle crock, sterilized it and put in my portion, and
cover
it with a corningware saucet that has been given a ring of soft silicon as a
gasket
that i weight down to keep sealed. Nothing special, i suppose you could
tupperware
it in the freezer if you really wanted.

- ---
Is it necessary to keep it refrigerated/cold?  I'd think the alcoholic content
of the rum would keep away any yuckies.
- ---

As soon as I get a summer kitchen made in
the barn for my brewing and cheesemaking and sausagemaking endeeavors, it will
get
moved out there. We are planning on actually installing plumbing and heating
for

- ---
<even more jealousy>  Cheesmaking and sausagemaking . . . and here I am pretty
happy that I might get to cook a simple dinner this weekend.  God, I want a
kitchen.
- ---

this winter, as we are moving our bedroom back out there again. Last winter was
interesting, it was sort of like being back in the middle ages, no heat [just
heated mattress pad and several wonderfully decadent comforters...] and just
enough
electricity for the mattress pad, a tv an alarm clock and a lamp. We just
finished
wiring the barn for 100 amp service, and are putting in a propane 'woodstove'
heat the bedroom.margali

- ---
I like the chill and blankets better than too much heat, especially if you've
got someone to snuggle next to.
- ---

[and before anybody asks, we have roommates, so there are 2 couples in a rather
small house, and the top floor of the barn is mostly finished into a great
15x25
studio/bedroom. I opt for the space rather than proximity to a flushatorium. I
can
walk the 40 or so feet to go to the jakes, i did it all last winter!]

> I'm jealous of the cider barrel . . . very jealous . . .

nya-nya![ ;-)] Ask me nice, and I might give you some of my cider, if you are
going
to be at an event near me in the future...

- ---
what kingdom are you in?
- ---

> Beer marinade ham --

sounds good, I may try this next spring...

- ---
Be sure to keep me posted on any results, shortcuts, changes, or tricks you
come up with . . . okay?

(A trick with this recipe, that I forgot to add in my original post . . . if
you want to use moderately decent (or even good) beer instead of rotgut swill,
fill 1 and 2 liter soda bottles with water and put them in the cooler as
ballast, they'll make the beer cover the ham w/o you having to use as much
beer.)