SC - AM's article

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 14:45:42 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/5/98 11:18:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<< Actually, Ras, looking at many, many paintings and illuminations of pigs
 in period, there are a lot of us who agree with Anne Marie that pigs were
 leaner, rather than with you, saying they were bred for fat.  You could
 add an addendum, labeled as your own, presenting your views and why you
 think they are more accurate.

 Regards,

 Allison >>

Although I understand your reasoning, I have also looked at the 'pictures'. I
found few actual pictures that represented real pigs but rather a lot of
'boar' pictures interspersed with a smattering of pig pictures. Did you also
take into account castration and it's affect? What was the scale in the
pictures? Were the people realitively large compared to the pigs? If tes, then
what scale did the trees and buildings take? Irregardless, written accounts
say the opposite. Most modern pictures of farm life are idealized. I have no
evidence that period illlumination of rural life was not similarly idealized.

BTW, it really doesn't matter how many agree or disagree with either of us.
Those that disagree with me can continue to look at pictures while those that
agree with me have written documentation to support their viewpoint. OTOH, we
have both illuminations and written documentation to support the existence of
basilisks. So the question then becomes one of whether period basilisks were
fatter than modern basilisks.

Ras