SC - Bread Soup Bowls

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Sat Nov 7 09:37:14 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/7/98 9:35:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, CONNECT at aol.com
writes:

<<
 I need 100+ individual bread bowls. To save money for our Barony, I'll be
 making them from scratch. I plan to raise the dough and then freeze them.
 What's the best way to do this?>>>

	Been there, done that--and for more like 300! ;-) It's a pain in the
backside, but the results are nice.

>>> Should I raise the dough, once, divide and freeze? Twice and freeze?
Twice,
 bake for 5-X minutes, and then freeze?>>>

	The later. Trust me, you *don't* want to do any part of this but the
reheating on site!

 >>(I have the counter space to raise the dough a second time on the day of
the
 event, but I'm not sure if yeast survives freezing?) >>>

	Yeast will survive freezing just fine, for future reference, but keep in mind
that it has to not only thaw, but actually get warm again to rise much. Cold
dough just sits there--not good on a tight feast schedule! :-)

 >>>Anyone who's done this successfully and would care to share your secrets,
I'm
 very eager to learn! <grin>

 Yours gratefully,
 Rosalyn MacGregor
 (Pattie Rayl)
 ============================================================ >>
	This was several (Maybe 5?) years back, so my memory is a more than a little
rusty, but what we did was put circles of dough into muffin pans and bake
them. However, we had major problems with the dough slumping as it baked. I
believe what we ended up doing was baking them for a bit and then tamping them
down to flatten the walls and bottoms, and finishing the baking. A large pain,
as I said! Now, if you had muffin tins that would work for it (i.e., were far
apart, like some of the popover tins I've seen), the best way would be to
drape them over the bottoms, so gravity would be working *for* you, not
against you. An alternative, if you have enough tins, might be to bake the
dough sandwiched between two tins, with the top one weighted a bit. A stiff
dough will help, too. But do several trials, if you can, to find out what
works best for you. We were stuck with a bit of a time crunch and had to get
them all done on the one day we had set aside, so had limited options when
problems developed...........

			Ldy Diana