SC - flavored vinegars

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 7 21:55:49 PST 1998

Christianna asked:
>A fellow in my group asked me last night about period recipies for
>flavored vinegars.  Any ideas?

This message was posted to this list recently. I don't remember anyone
answering Beatrix's question, though.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

======================
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 21:48:11 EDT
From: melc2newton at juno.com
Subject: SC - Fish and Vinegar

I was looking thro' _Herbal Vinegar_by Maggie Oster for Christmas gift
ideas, and in the history (without documentation) section, she mentions
that...
        "By the thirteenth century, a wide selection of vinegars -
including those flavored with clove,chicory, fennel, ginger, truffle,
raspberry, mustard, and garlic- was commonly sold by street vendors in
Paris. Pepper vinegar was especially popular during the Middle Ages
because wine that contained pepper was not taxed on importation into
Paris."

Now were could I start to justify this statement (preferably in English
translation)? Has anyone else run across this pepper vinegar in French
sources?

Beatrix
Oakheart/Calontir
Springfield, MO