SC - Epiphany

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Nov 8 16:49:47 PST 1998

>What is this holiday? I know the dictionary definition of epiphany,
>but I didn't know it was a whole holiday in and of itself.
>
>Yours gratefully,
>Rosalyn MacGregor

Did someone ask about a holiday?  I just happen to have a tidbit or two
of information right here, in my book:

JAN 5
Festival of Kore - Ancient Greece - Goddess of Fertility, Cereal, Grains,
and Agriculture. The daughter of Demeter, counterpart of Pluto, also
known as Persephone.  (See No. 25th)
Fifth Day of the New Year - Japan - A court banquet marks the transition
from one year to the next.
Epiphany Eve  - Celebrated as the day to receive presents in many areas.
Lilat-al-Kadr  - Syria and Lebanon - the "Night of Destiny" is revered by
Christians and Muslims alike.  The Roman Church insists that it is the
anniversary of His Baptism.  Both Christians and Muslims agree that at
midnight the trees bow down.  Christians believe that the trees showed
the Magi  "the way home" (away from Herod).  Muslims believe that the
Koran came down from Heaven that day, and the animals and trees bow down
for the honor of the revelation.  Mt. Lebanon - Children believe that
their presents are brought by the Magic Mule.  Farther south the Camel of
Jesus brings the goodies.
 Italy - Children receive presents from a little old witch woman called
la Belfana.  She was sweeping when the Magi came through.  They asked her
to come with them, but she had to finish her work, so she followed later.
 She never found them or Him, so she keeps looking, and gives gifts to
all the children just in case so she doesn't miss Him by mistake.
12th Night - 12 days of Christmas end on the eve of Epiphany
England - Twelfth Night is celebrated with a gigantic celebration.
Friends and relatives dine and drink "Lamb's Wool" and cut the Twelfth
Cake.  Inside there is a bean or a pea, and the first man to find the
bean is to be the King of the revel, and the first woman to be the Queen.
Plough Sunday* - England - The Sunday nearest to January 5th.  Farmers
bring their ploughs to Church to be blessed for the Spring planting
season.  Then there are prayers offered for the farming community.
Glastonbury Thorn Day - England The day the "Glastonbury Thorn Tree"
blooms.
 JAN 6
Feast of Kore - Ancient Egypt - Goddess of Fertility, Cereal, Grains, and
Agriculture.
Christmas Day - Early observances.
Birth of Jesus of Nazareth - Known as the Great Teacher before his
deification, celebrated by the original Christians.
Epiphany  (1 AD) Magi visit Christ
Feast Days of the Magi - St. Caspar, St. Melchior, St. Balthasar ( 1st
Cent) Patron Saints of Travelers.
Festival of Three Kings - Germany - The initials of the three Magi are
marked over the doorways so the saints will see them and protect the
house from flood and fire. Children dress up as the kings.
France - The three kings were believed to have passed through France on
their journey East.  The children there leave hay in their shoes for the
King's camels, and in the morning they are rewarded with bon-bons, toys,
and Galette des Rois, or King Cakes.  Each cake must be baked with a
bean, a small token, or even a small china doll.  There is always one
more portion than there are guests, 'la part a Dieu'- God's share, for
the first poor person who knocks on the door.

>From "366 Days of Celebrations, or, A Year Full of Reasons to Throw a
Party" by Christine Seelye-King