SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Mon Nov 9 15:41:13 PST 1998

Brangwayna asks:

>I woke up this morning going "Duh!  Frumenty goes with venison!"  None of
us has ever cooked it, though - any hints?<

Mistress Christianna at Pennsic made us a most WONDERFUL frumenty for the
Cook's Potluck, and I have the recipe she gave me.

It's called Briw- Irish Savory Frumenty

Grains- groats, cracked/bulgar wheat, rolled oats, rolled wheat, rolled
rye-

Cooked in chicken stock, with added butter, cooked diced bacon and bacon
grease, mushrooms, and salt and pepper. While the rolled oats etc. aren't
period, the mix was truly wonderful- I think it was the best thing there.
I'm sure she'll give you more details if you ask.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom