SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 19:35:17 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/9/98 5:48:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bronwynmgn at aol.com writes:

<< Ras, to put it bluntly, the hummus is a) because we have that big honking
can
 of chickpeas left over from the last feast and>>

Right. Good idea. I had forgotten that I didn't use all the chickpeas in the
Brodo. Sorry. :-)

 <<b) because the head cook makes a mean hummus, and lots of us like it.
Also, because it's the first time I've been able to get him to agree to use
REAL period recipes (instead of what he thinks is period) for most things, and
I'm willing to allow him a little leeway in exchange.>>

Good idea again. I am awed that you were able to get him to agree to do actual
period recipes. Good job! Keep me posted as tp as it turns out, please.

 <<As far as what kind of beans, I've done them in the past with white
northern
 beans.  I know it should be favas - or could we use the lentils for that???

If the illumination that shows 'green beans' is accurate then  a good
substitute, IMO, would be Chinese Yard Long Beans sometimes found in groceries
as 'snake beans...but barring that I have heard that 'kidney' beans have been
substituted occasionally. Surprisingly the seed of the yard long bean looks
exactly like a small kidney bean. :-). If favas are not in the stars then
possibly you might want to reconsider and use kidney beans instead of great
whites. Either is, of course, not period but we do have a reference or two to
something that was called a 'kidney bean', IIRC. I would not use lentils for
any number of reasons.

Anyway your menu sounds fun and is a great way to start educating your local
cooks and the shire. It seems that they enjoyed the feast at 'Harvest Melee'
which was totally period therefor half your battle is won. :-) Hopefully, you
are encouraging Seraphina to help out. She is a great cook and a natural in
the kitchen. :-) Bertram would also be a good local source of advice. He was
cooking period feasts for your shire 10 plus years ago and now that he is
becoming active again, he has a wealth of knowledge to draw from.

Ras