SC - Crusty bread

Helen him at gte.net
Tue Nov 10 14:44:38 PST 1998

I read that pro bakers sprayed water in the ovens like you do when
bakeing bread.  They sometimes have a lever on the outside of the oven
that spayed water in for them.  I think I even saw that on a cooking
show once.

Elizabeth wrote:
"When I want a "crust with attitude" (as my husband calls it) on my
big round sourdough loaves, I bake them in a high-humidity oven. A
couple of minutes before putting the loaves in the oven (or when it's
still cold) I wet down the walls with a misting/spray bottle of water.
When I put the loaf in the oven, I leave the door open a crack and give
a good half-dozen sprays or so before closing it all the way."