SC - Suggestions for vegetarian "main" dish needed

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Nov 11 16:42:26 PST 1998

Adamantius wrote:
><< Yes, by all means, go with frumenty, chiches, or possibly canebyns. >>

and Brangwayna replied:
>Frumenty I know; what are the other two?

Chiches are chickpeas/garbanzo beans; here is Forme of Cury's recipe (14th
c. English) with the thorns replaced by th's:

Chyches. Take chiches and wrye hem in askes al nyght other al a day, other
lay hem in hoot aymers [hot embers]. At morowe waische hem in clene water,
and do hem ouere the fire with clene water.  Seeth hem up and do therto
oyle, garlec hole, safroun, powdour fort and salt; seeth it and messe it
forth.

Basically, roast them, wash them, boil with oil, garlic cloves, saffron,
salt, and strong spices, and serve.

Canebyns are beans (favas) that get heated, a few at a time, in a hot
spoon, and I don't remember what happens to them next--I don't have the
recipe under my hand.

Brangwayna also asked about cooking frumenty; here is our current recipe:

Frumente
Curye on Inglysch p. 98 (Forme of Cury no. 1)

To make frumente. Tak clene whete & braye yt wel in a morter tyl the holes
gon of; sethe it til it breste in water. Nym it vp & lat it cole. Tak good
broth & swete mylk of kyn or of almand & tempere it therwith. Nym yelkys of
eyren rawe & saffroun & cast therto; salt it; lat it nought boyle after the
eyren been cast therinne. Messe it forth with venesoun or with fat motoun
fresch. [end of original; thorns replaced by th's]

1 c cracked wheat
2 c water
1/3 c chicken broth
1/3 c whole milk (or almond milk)
2 egg yolks
4 threads saffron
1/2 t salt

Bring water to a boil. Add wheat and bring back to a boil, cook about 10
min, then remove lid and cool, with occasional stirring to hasten the
cooling and break up the pasty lumps. Crush saffron into a little of the
broth; add saffron, broth and whole milk to the wheat and heat. When heated
through, stir in egg yolks and salt. Frumenty is traditionally served with
venison; this recipe also suggests serving with mutton.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook